Dental implant surgery is an invasive treatment. According to a renowned dental implant surgeon, it requires some preparation, both on the part of a dentist and the patient, before surgery. The after-effects of the treatment are also considered and can vary from person to person. Without proper post-surgical care, healing may be delayed.
Here are some instructions, provided by the dentist in Camden that will ensure your post surgical recovery is fast and uneventful.
- Avoid disturbing the area for at least for 24 hours post-surgery.
- Expect some swelling which will reach its maximum 48 hours after the in-chair treatment.
- Apply cold packs or ice bag wrapped in a towel to the face, adjacent to the area of surgery, every 20 minutes. Hold the pack in place for 15 to 20 minutes. Continue this for the first 12 to 24 hours after the surgery.
- After 24 hours, start using a moist heating pad to the surgical area. This will help the swelling subside.
- Don’t spit or rinse your mouth vigorously.
- Don’t drink through a straw.
- Ignore the temptation to examine the surgical area.
- Don’t prod the treatment area with your tongue.
- If you’re a regular smoker, stop smoking for at least 3 to 4 days after the surgery.
- Rinse the mouth with lukewarm saline water every 2 to 3 hours. This will help the wound heal faster.
- Continue this regime for several days following the surgical procedure. After the first 4-5 days, you can reduce rinsing to 3 or 4 times a day.
- Avoid brushing around the operated area of the mouth. Before brushing, hold the toothbrush under hot water to soften up the bristles.
- Do only light physical activity following implant surgery. Expect to get back to your normal activities within two to three days.
- Increase your fluid intake but avoid using a straw under any circumstance.
- Eat a soft but healthy diet after the treatment.
- Initially, you may have some difficulty in chewing food on the affected side of the mouth. Don’t put unnecessary pressure on the affected area, as it might start to bleed.
The success rate of dental implants at Camden High Street Dental Practice is very high. Follow the tips above to avoid unwanted complications as you recover from your implant surgery.