As you tend to get older, several health concerns will start to arise from time to time. Proper dental care and treatment might seem to be the only solution for all these worries. Taking good care of your teeth can actually create a big difference to the overall quality of your life. Your dental health condition can bring several changes that might be important for you, starting from eating whatever you want to socialising more confidently.
Read on to know about the different oral problems that can crop up with age and what can be done to solve them.
- Your teeth may appear darker due to the loss of surface enamel, but can also be caused due to stain marks from certain foods and drinks. If you have the habit of smoking, then nicotine can cause stains to the teeth.
- The teeth surface may get damaged over time. They can become worn down due to tooth grinding and eroded by the attack of acids in the food and drinks you consume.
- Your gums may begin to recede due to age. This can be the reason for greater risk of tooth decay near the roots of your tooth.
- Gum disease might lead to bone loss around the teeth. This can make your teeth loose, painful and they may fall out in the near future.
- Other health problems can make it difficult to clean the teeth properly. For example, you may find it hard to do certain tasks with your hands, find it difficult to clean the teeth or have problems with your eyesight.
What to do for taking care of your teeth
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste at least two times in a day
- Visit your dentist and dental hygienist regularly
- Restrict the intake of sugar you eat and drink
5 Tips for your beautiful smile
- Use an electric toothbrush if you find it difficult to move your hand or arm. You may find it easy to hold the brush and it can do a lot of work for you.
- If you have arthritis, adjust your toothbrush handle to improve the grip. Try wrapping some elastic bands around the handle to make it bigger and easier to grip. Choose a toothbrush that has been designed for your specific needs.
- If you suffer from a dry mouth, talk to your dentist about rinses and saliva sprays. Several kinds are available on prescription or over-the-counter. Make sure you drink water regularly throughout the day.
- Seek advice from your dentist at Camden High Street Dental Practice as he can teach you the right techniques to brush properly, particularly if you have receding gums. He may even suggest you to use specific toothpaste or mouthwash that can be helpful for your teeth and mouth.
- Know about the sugars included in your diet and try to reduce them as much as possible. If you take candies, then this can increase the chances for tooth decay. There are certain medications that contain sugar and so, ask your dentist if you can really take them.
Taking care of your teeth is an important part of improved overall health. Look for a dentist near you who will detect your oral complications and treat them on time.